In an emergency or if you feel you or someone you know is at risk, dial 111.
If someone has attempted suicide, or you’re worried about their immediate safety, please act quickly:
- Call your local mental health crisis assessment team or go with the person to the emergency department (ED) at your nearest hospital.
- Try to stay calm and let them know you care.
- Keep them talking and make sure you are safe.
- Do not leave them alone. Stay with them until other support arrives.
- Remove any obvious means of suicide they might use.
Call help lines. They can offer professional help 24/7.
- Need to Talk? 1737 – Free call or text any time for support from a trained counsellor.
- Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757 – When you are feeling down and would like to talk to a trained counsellor.
- Healthline: 0800 611 116 – If you are feeling unwell, sick or need advice.
- Samaritans: 0800 726 666 – For callers from the lower North Island, Christchurch and West Coast. For callers from all other regions phone (04) 473 9739.
- Youthline: 0800 376 633 – Free text 234 or email: email@example.com.
- What’s Up: 0800 942 8787 – For 5-18 year olds; from 1pm to 11 pm.
- OUTLine NZ: 0800 688 5463 (0800 OUTLINE) – Support for sexuality or gender identity issues.
- Lifeline: 0800 543 354 or text 4357 – 24/7 Telephone counselling service.
Regional Mental Health services.